LONG ISLAND, MA
Camp Harbor View’s work is focused on providing opportunity to some of Boston’s most historically marginalized communities. We believe that by working together with the families in our program we will make progress in overcoming many of the barriers of systemic inequity and advancing educational and economic parity. We strive to build a staff and board that is reflective of the communities that we serve.
Reports to: Aquatics Director
Location: Camp Harbor View, Long Island, Boston MA (ferry transportation provided)
Hours: Seasonal, Full-Time; June 26, 2023 – August 25, 2023; 8:15 am to 4:45 pm
- Maintain a safe environment through constant surveillance of campers and staff in the water and on the pool deck or at the waterfront and adherence to state safety regulations and standards;
- Routinely participate in safety drills to ensure familiarity with emergency procedures;
- Act immediately in the event of an emergency, using appropriate procedures to ensure the safety of campers and staff in the water and on the pool deck or at the waterfront, providing emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of medical personnel who can provide a higher level of care;
- Assist with the development of a variety of developmentally appropriate activities, including swimming lessons, poolside activities, and games in the event of rain;
- Assist with the supervision and positive behavior guidance of campers participating in programming at the pool and across the camp community, including, but not limited to, performances, lunch, and the ferry;
- Coach and mentor high school-aged youth in the Leader in Training (LIT) program, regularly communicating to both the Aquatics Director and LIT staff regarding the LIT’s job performance;
- Assist with the initial and end of summer inventory and security and maintenance of materials, equipment, and other resources belonging to the aquatics program area;
- Support program specific COVID-19 prevention and mitigation efforts; and
- Other duties that support the Camp Harbor View community as specified by the Aquatics Director and year-round leadership.
- 18+ years of age;
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguarding certification (or equivalent);
- Current American Red Cross Water Safety Instruction (WSI) certification (or equivalent) preferred;
- At least 1 month of experience working with youth;
- Experience as a lifeguard preferred;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to supervise and teach middle school-aged youth;
- Ability to work with youth and families from a variety of backgrounds; and
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.