Challenge Course Director
Camp Harbor View’s work is focused on providing opportunity to some of Boston’s most historically marginalized communities. We believe that by working together with the families in our program we will make progress in overcoming many of the barriers of systemic inequity and advancing educational and economic parity. We strive to build a staff and board that is reflective of the communities that we serve.
Title/Position: Challenge Course Director (Seasonal)
Reports to: Camp Administrator and Deputy Director
Location: Camp Harbor View, Long Island, Boston MA (ferry transportation provided)
Hours: Seasonal, Full-Time; June 27, 2022 – August 26, 2022; 8:15 am to 4:45 pm
We are currently recruiting for a seasonal Leadership Director to work at Camp Harbor View located on Long Island in Boston, MA. Our day camp serves middle school-aged youth living in Boston. The challenge course director’s primary responsibility is the management and oversight of the challenge course program, including staff, activities that promote problem solving and critical thinking through initiatives activities, safety on the challenge course, and partners.
- Manage the training, supervision, coaching, and scheduling of leadership staff, providing regular feedback through informal and formal observations and a performance evaluation after each session;
- Develop and implement a variety of developmentally appropriate activities, focusing on activities and games that encourage teamwork and leadership and teach problem solving and critical thinking skills, and collaborative programming across program areas and with program partners;
- Manage communication with leadership partners to ensure clear understanding of expectations and engagement with the camp community;
- Assist with the supervision and positive behavior guidance of campers participating in programming at leadership and across the camp community, including, but not limited to, performances, lunch, and the ferry;
- Coach and mentor high school-aged youth in the Leader in Training (LIT) program, regularly communicating with the LIT staff regarding the LIT’s job performance;
- Manage the budget, initial and end of season inventory, and security and maintenance of materials, equipment and other resources belonging to the leadership program area;
- Maintain a safe environment by regularly inspecting all equipment and structures associated with the challenge course, climbing wall, and initiatives activities and maintaining them as needed;
- Serve as an ambassador to visitors, engaging them and articulating how the work serves the mission and the campers;
- Support the development and growth of a positive camp culture by providing additional support to campers and colleagues as needed and at community-wide events, including, but not limited to, performances, lunch, and the ferry;
- Manage and ensure the maintenance and cleanliness of the leadership program areas, including the challenge courses and initiatives field; and
- Other duties that support the Camp Harbor View community as specified by the Camp Administrator, Deputy Director, and other year-round leadership.
- 18+ years of age;
- BA or BS in related field preferred, equivalent experiences considered;
- Current Challenge Course Management certification from an ACCT professional vendor required;
- Current Level 2 Challenge Course Practitioner certification from an ACCT professional vendor required;
- Experience developing and delivering leadership programs for youth;
- Supervisory experience required, experience in a camp or out of school time setting preferred;
- Interest in and knowledge of trends in leadership programming, techniques and theory, and utilization of technology in the leadership fields;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to supervise and teach middle school-aged youth;
- Ability to work with youth and families from a variety of backgrounds; and
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Please send resume and cover letter to Danielle Halderman.