Challenge Course Coordinator
Camp Harbor View’s work is focused on providing opportunity to some of Boston’s most historically marginalized communities. We believe that by working together with the families in our program we will make progress in overcoming many of the barriers of systemic inequity and advancing educational and economic parity. We strive to build a staff and board that is reflective of the communities that we serve.
Title/Position: Challenge Course Coordinator (Seasonal)
Reports to: Leadership Director
Location: Camp Harbor View, Long Island, Boston MA (ferry transportation provided)
Hours: Seasonal, Full-Time; June 27, 2022 – August 26, 2022; 8:15 am to 4:45 pm
We are currently recruiting for a seasonal Challenge Course Coordinator to work at Camp Harbor View located on Long Island in Boston, MA. Long Island is situated in Quincy Bay, in the middle of Boston Harbor. Our day camp serves middle school-aged youth living in Boston. The Challenge Course Coordinator’s primary responsibilities are the facilitation of programming on the high ropes course and climbing wall, ensuring safe practice, and supervision of campers both at the leadership program and throughout camp.
- Implement a variety of developmentally appropriate activities, focusing on activities and games that encourage teamwork and leadership and teach problem solving and critical thinking skills;
- Assist with the supervision and positive behavior guidance of campers participating in programming at leadership and across the camp community, including but not limited to performances, lunch, and the ferry;
- Coach and mentor high school-aged youth in the Leader in Training (LIT) program, regularly communicating with the Leadership Director and LIT staff regarding the LIT’s job performance;
- Assist with the initial and end of season inventory, security and maintenance of materials, equipment, and other resources belonging to the leadership program area;
- Maintain a safe environment by regularly inspecting all equipment and structures associated with the high ropes course and climbing wall and maintaining them as needed;
- Support the development and growth of a positive camp culture by providing additional support to campers and colleagues as needed and at community-wide events, including, but not limited to, performances, lunch, and the ferry;
- Manage and ensure the maintenance and cleanliness of the high ropes course and climbing wall; and
- Other duties that support the Camp Harbor View community as specified by the Leadership Director and year-round leadership.
- 18+ years of age;
- Working toward a BA or BS in related field preferred, equivalent experience considered;
- Current Level 2 Challenge Course Practitioner certification from an ACCT professional vendor required;
- Experience developing and delivering leadership programs for youth;
- Interest in and knowledge of trends in leadership programming, techniques and theory, and utilization of technology in the leadership fields;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to supervise and teach middle school-aged youth;
- Ability to work with youth and families from a variety of backgrounds; and
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Please send resume and cover letter to Danielle Halderman.